CBI has completed its probe in the 2G spectrum allocation scam and will file its third chargesheet by September 15, the agency told the Supreme Court today.
Senior Advocate KK Venugopal, appearing for CBI, sought 15 days more to file the charge sheet which was earlier slated to be filed by August 31.
He submitted before a bench of justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly that CBI, Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department would file status report of their investigation by the next date of hearing on September 1.
The court was hearing petitions filed by an NGO, Centre for Public Interest Litigation and Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy on whose plea it had directed the CBI probe into the 2G scam and has also been monitoring it.
In its last status report, the ED submitted that the probe was done against several firms including Swan Telecom which is alleged to be a front company of ADAG’s Reliance Telecom.
It had said the money trail has led the ED to the United Kingdom, Singapore, Russia, Cyprus, Mauritius and the Isle of Man.
Senior counsel Venugopal had said six complaints under Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) were registered against some companies and their officials, including the managing director of a telecom company who is presently in Tihar jail.
The apex court had earlier set up a special court to exclusively hold the trial in the scam.
Former Telecom Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi along with several corporate honchos besides former telecom secretary are presently in jail and the special court is hearing the CBI’s plea on framing of charges against them
under various provisions of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act.