In the midst of rising cases of corruption, scams, slowing economic growth and terror, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressed the nation on the country’s 65th Independence Day.
As rain washed out the national capital, the Prime Minister unfurled the national flag.
Speaking from the ramparts of the Red Fort, the PM told the nation that his government was intent on fighting corruption.
Here are some of the highlights of the PM’s speech:
- There are some people who want to create disturbances in the country so that our progress gets stalled
- It is the time to rise above our personal or political interests and build consensus on issues of national importance
- We will soon enact a legislation for providing food security to the people
- We want a strong Lokpal to prevent corruption in high places
- It is not proper to bring judiciary under the ambit of Lokpal, we believe any such provision will go against the independence of judiciary
- We will ensure no injustice is done in the process of land acqusition; Bill in this regard will be introduced in Parliament soon
- Government will establish a new Education Commission to suggest improvements in education at all levels
- Corruption is a big obstacle in national transformation
- Last month’s attack in Mumbai warned us that there cannot be any slip-up in our vigilance as far as fight against terrorism is concerned
( Updated : 08.55am / 15th Aug )